We are so excited to have taken on this role with a successful manufacturer of high quality Vegan products. The roles primary focus is to ensure that the company meet customer, external accreditation and legislative requirements both for Technical, Quality/Food safety and Regulatory, so they are legally compliant and adhering to external accrediting & compliance body’s standards to keep their certifications and to gain new accreditations.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
Quality Assurance -
- Be an ambassador for the Directors in regard to Quality and gain buy in from all other levels of staff by education, training and advice.
- Effectively manage any staff within department or remit to ensure all company training, policies, procedures and expectations are met.
- Complete the transition of QMS from SALSA to BRC intermediate standard to attain accreditation.
- Work with other departments to ensure all levels of staff are trained/educated/advised on Quality requirements.
- Accurately and effectively maintain all aspects of the QMS and continually improve to increase standards for the business.
- Ensure HACCP remains effective and is updated through the HACCP team.
- Keep all QMS documents accurate and effective with any changes/updates required and ensure they are disseminated to all relevant departments/staff.
- Ensure daily/weekly/monthly QA duties including but not limited to hygiene/workwear/building & perimeter audits, preventative maintenance, equipment calibration and temperature checks, internal audits against the standard, finished and raw ingredient testing etc are completed accurately and effectively.
- Undertake approval processes for existing and new suppliers for raw ingredients, packaging, equipment etc and risk assess on a Food safety/Quality/Sustainability perspective.
- Have ownership of environmental cleaning and relevant staff.
- Implement and undertake the QA portion of staff/contractors induction programme. In addition co-ordinate and deliver Quality training and tool box talks as and when necessary.
- Be proactive within production, work with Operations and Production managers to ensure all aspects are considered within NPD, changes in products, processes & work changes from a Food safety and Quality perspective.
- Implement and drive TACCP/VACCP/HARPC, educating and advising all levels on requirements and actions.
- Undertake crisis management, traceability, re-calls within the allotted timeframe as and when required to ensure systems are effective.
- Ensure complaints are dealt with in an effective manner and to the company’s expectations and look at root causes to minimise recurrence of issues to reduce the amount of complaints received.
- Lead and support other managers to ensure continuous improvement, cost control and waste reduction during every operational task.
- Horizon scanning for any food safety issues, make Directors aware and offer advice and solutions on how to comply.
- Set up and drive forward a Quality committee to enable staff input and communication to support the business needs.
- Honest and has integrity in all that is undertaken.
- Is a can do person.
- Concentrates on the positives not the negatives and relays these within all interactions.
- Has the drive and tenacity to make a difference.
- Has a passion for getting things right the first time.
- Leads by example.
- Seeks the achievement of a job well done.
- Enjoys and takes pride in having the ownership of their role and department.
- Self-driven, results-oriented authoritative but approachable with a positive outlook.
- A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance.
- Mature outlook, credible, and comfortable in dealing with staff, senior management, customers, and suppliers alike.
- Is comfortable from the advising of staff to presenting at board level.
- Understands the intricacies and needs of a SME.
- Will lead in cultural development.
Specific Job Skills:
- Food Manufacturing experience within a QA Manager, Quality Systems Manager, Technical Manager or Technical Services Manager overseeing assistants.
- Low care site experience is a must have, High care site experience would be an added benefit.
- Strong management, coaching, mentoring & developing skills, leading other to be their very best.
- IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent Health & Safety qualification
- Advanced Food hygiene certificate
- Auditor Training
- HACCP Training
- BRC experience or knowledge
- Manager Coaching
- Good Microsoft Excel and word skills
- Good Manufacturing Practice Training & implementation.
Computer skills: Must be adept in use of MS Office 2000 or later, particularly Excel and Word, Internet and email.