We are delighted to be working on this Senior level Site Development Manager to provide a site-based resource within the development department of this large award winning producer of meat products (pork). They’ll need you to manage innovation, NPD, EPD and VAVE (value adding, value engineering) projects for the whole customer base from concept to launch (large multiples).
You’ll need to ensure that all products meet both the customers and the company’s expectations whilst satisfying all relevant technical and operational criteria, allowing a timely and faultless successful product launch.
You’ll have an in-depth knowledge of food and site processes.
Have an interest in food, commercial acumen, relationship building and a good understanding of the business and customer base is key
Also you’ll be responsible for the development team which encompasses the innovation, NPD and process team
- ¨To lead the development team to deliver new concepts inspired by category insight, EPD & VAVE projects, where relevant in line with the customer brief
- Manages the development team ensuring projects are kept on track, objectives delivered and ensures a good working relationship is sustained.
- Ensures their team deliver against agreed role profiles/descriptions and take appropriate action
- Conduct PDR’s and writes PDP’s with SMART objectives for direct reports.
- Ensures their team receive the relevant training required to do their roles effectively
- Ensures their team have up to date, relevant and signed job descriptions
- Ensure their team complete all relevant stage and gate steps accurately, on time and in full
- Accountable for team sharing clear project status updates for all projects through effective weekly communication
- Deputise for NPD controller at meetings where required e.g. group controllers meeting
- Drives own personal development.
- Works with other development/process managers across the group to ensure we share learnings and best practise
- Works with key stakeholders across site through each step of the project journey to ensure engagement and communicates issues or potential issues
- Plays an active part in customer visits/meetings, pre-production and launches where appropriate
- Supports team as required with all aspects of factory trials including but not exclusive to; ordering new raw materials and ensuring suppliers samples are approved from their factory, trial data capture, assessing product process flows, signing off transit trial results
- Oversee the management and delivery of all development projects from initial ideation through launch; raises any concerns with NPD controller and relevant stakeholders
- Is known as the point of contact at site level for their relevant retailers, works to meet the objectives set by the NPD Controllers/Account Managers and engage key site stakeholders.
- Maintains regular contact with retailer developers and keeps up to date with customer and market changes.
- Independently approves samples for presentations by understanding WAGJLL.
- Independently presents products to customer with rationale.
- Takes accurate notes during external meetings and sends detailed contact report both internally and to the customer.
- Ensures the development team delivers an average of 50% conversion rate
- Ensures the team conduct trials in line with site procedures and legal requirements
- Responsible for ensuring team keep all required records in auditable order including but not exclusive to internal and BRC audits. Attends audits on behalf of development.
- Accountable for team creating and accurately updating recipes and other stage & gate documents to allow replication of samples at any time
- Accountable for all sample requests ensuring they are met on time and to an agreed quality standard. Signs off samples for NPD technologists and for senior technologists & chefs where relevant
- Is the site champion of the stage and gate process; ensures all steps of the RACI for development has a record sheet and procedure, supports NPD controller by providing feedback on existing record sheets and procedures, updates them as required, gives NPD controller feedback as to whether it’s working across all functions and non-conformances. Follows it as first stage thinking and demonstrates WAGJLL.
- Support the development team in creating new and exciting ideas, ensuring that products are delivered to the correct specification satisfying consumer, customer and business requirements.
- Drives & communicates their retailer strategic NPD agenda.
- Defines and owns the NPD plan by site/retailer.
- Writes critical paths from concept to launch. Challenges where necessary and agrees critical path for their respective customers
- Responsibility for critical path adherence for all customers including setting timings & communication with support from site technical manager
- Supports NPD controller with strategic divisional growth through R&D or innovation using synergies through businesses and processes.
- Understands category insight to enable them to generate credible and commercially sound paper ideas with rationale for each idea.
- Accountable for operational engagement being in place before presenting paper ideas or innovation products to customers.
- Independently develop products that meet the retailer brief by using the value proposition model.
- Full awareness of retailer brand standards and ensures that their team develops products that meet them.
- Ensures their team complete necessary trials to an agreed deadline to facilitate spec submission on time and in full (unless a concession is granted by customer technical lead)
- Supports their team and site assess product feasibility
- Ensures their team provide finance and commercial with accurately completed recipes to the agreed timescales to meet cost submission deadlines
- Works with the finance and commercial teams to agree site costing process, interpret NPD costings and challenge as required in a timely manner.
- Supports commercial by attending post launch reviews.
- Responsible for project management of all product and packaging related VAVE programmes.
- Accountable for the annual benchmarking rota being adhered to and ensuring all actions are delivered in line with NPD or EPD programmes.
- Contribute towards site P&L report and interprets teams recorded spend against overhead figure.
- Accountable for their team adhering to project budgets and actively uses a cost to launch document (by product/project) to gain visibility of budget adherence. Calls out over-spend and proactively manages cost.
- Accountable for ensuring team capture cost to launch information by each product/project in detail to allow analysis.
- In depth understanding of the site operational processes, product portfolio and competitor products.
- With support, can interpret data from category to understand retailer performance, market share etc.
- Good understanding of carcass breakdown/utilisation to select correct cuts for development.
- Good understanding of meat technology used at site.
- Basic understanding of retailer pig model for costings.
- Desirable experience and abilities
A strong technical knowledge ideally provided from experience (min 2 years) from chilled/within a similar field
Degree or food related subject in i.e. Food Technology or similar.
Experience with retailer NPD systems
Demonstrates excellent customer service, both internally and externally
Must be in possession of a full valid driving licence
Awareness of factory equipment and processes
Strong team player and is known for working for the good of the team
Strong people manager and knows how to get the best out of individuals
Demonstrates passion in all that they do
Ability to create a favourable first impression, project yourself well and present with confidence
Able to enjoy working within a fast-moving environment with change and high expectations
Demonstrate a genuine interest and understanding of food
A proven track record of strong project management, with good communication skills & highly organised
Comfortable working in an office, factory or kitchen environment
Flexible, Detail Conscious and self-starter
Problem solving mindset
Demonstrates positive influencing