The UK Office of a leading International Consulting, Design, Engineering, Management and Construction service company, who specialise in complex, high specification design or construction projects within industrial process, commercial, industrial, research and public buildings, are seeking a Section Head of Electrical Services . This is an outstanding opportunity for a lead role in this area, to take the next step up in their career.
Salary will be over and above the going rate for the right person, who will, in return, offer longevity for succession planning
You will need to have sound experience in either Commercial/Industrial or Pharmaceutical/Laboratories/Healthcare Building Services and be currently working in, at minimum, a Senior/Associate Level
- Direct and supervise the activities of personnel within the Electrical Services Section of the Design and Engineering Department to liaise with the other design disciplines to produce all necessary design drawings, specifications and other relevant documentation to the required standard in accordance with the client brief, contract documentation, budget, programme and company’s Quality Assurance Procedures all in full accordance with current statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Provide fundamental technical and scheduling guidance to subordinates.
- Ensure full compliance with codes and regulations that govern design, established company policies and procedures and an often revised list of priorities imposed by the Director of Engineering.
- Assist in establishing design criteria in order to set project parameters.
- Ensuring the electrical design aspects of the project, including allocation of department resources to deal with the preparation of a coordinated electrical design, including the checking of calculations, drawings, specifications, schedules, estimates and other relevant design documentation for completeness and accuracy prior to issue.
- Ensuring that the quality of output and productivity of the Electrical Section meets requirements, assists in the selection of new personnel, and provides training and guidance to promote growth and proficiency especially by encouraging training, education and Continued Professional Development amongst the department.
- Provide review and counsel to the Electrical staff to ensure high technical quality.
- Encourage a professional work attitude within the Electrical Section by setting personal examples and motivating personnel through appropriate management and supervision techniques.
- Conduct formal reviews with staff at least annually to assess past and present performance and set agreed targets for the coming year.
- Stay abreast of current design trends, technologies and their suitability to company’s operations and continually share this knowledge. Maintain active membership in professional societies to improve personal expertise.
WIDER ROLE WITHIN THE BUSINESS:
The Electrical Section is one of four design disciplines in the Design and Engineering Department.
The Deputy Electrical Section Head:-
- May be involved in the conceptual stage of a new design project in an advisory capacity, and increasingly so, during the preliminary design phase.
- May be tasked with producing electrical design associated with a project. If this is the case a suitably qualified person shall be identified at the outset of the project to review/check such design
- Will be responsible for reviewing/checking the design that is produced by the Electrical Design team
- Ensures that completed drawings, specifications and other documents are issued in accordance with the Project Contract Plan delivery dates. The Deputy Electrical Section Head may be responsible for the technical evaluation of tender returns and for ensuring that shop drawings and technical submissions comply with the coordinated design.
- May attend periodic review meetings with clients to resolve questions and show job progress.
- Participates in the preparation of estimates for design assignments, and monitors hours spent on each project against the target estimate / design completion, reporting on a regular basis to the relevant Project Manager and to the Director of Design & Engineering.
- Where company undertakes construction, coordinates with the Construction department to ensure that regular and timely site visits are made in order to meet with the Electrical Contractor to discuss any outstanding technical queries, monitor installation / commissioning progress, quality of the installation and to ensure compliance with company design.
- Provides programme advice to the Project Manager when required.
- Takes part in regular design reviews and where necessary holds interim reviews to resolve specific design challenges with other disciplines.
- Identifies and discusses problems and challenges with the Section Head / Director of Engineering.
- Co-ordinates, exchanges information with other Section Heads, Project Managers, and client’s technical representatives. The challenge include responding to the priorities, fluctuating resource requirements and criteria revisions.
- May participate in delivering new sales opportunities, by creating good working relationships with existing, and where possible, new Clients. Also where required support the sales team with preparing presentations, proposals, site visits, etc.
A Deputy Section Head may be required to perform the role of design lead where company is providing a multi-disciplinary design service. The role of the design lead will involve the following duties:
- Be a proactive main Client contact/interface, to ensure that the team, as a minimum, meets the Clients expectations.
- Co-ordination of the multi-disciplinary design.
- Review and approve the issue of design information to the Client.
- Develop and manage the design/delivery programme with the Client and the internal design team.
- Host and co-ordinate regular internal design review meetings.
- Every 2 weeks review (using Redsky internal time sheet system) hours expended on the project against the project progress and the fee proposal (financial health check).
- Ensure that Engineering Change Authorisation forms (ECA’s) are completed and signed by the Director of Engineering prior to any associated design work being undertaken in line with Practice Note 03. This is in line with Guidance Note 14 and Guidance Note 15 for Client authorisation.
- Provide guidance and motivation to the design team to enable them to produce compliant, and where possible innovative designs on time and within budget.
- Ensure that both the Clients brief and the quality of the design achieved are the best possible.
- Lead internal and client facing presentations in conjunction with other team members.
- Manage internal design resources in liaison with other Section Heads.
- Assist and support business development and sales activities to promote business from new and existing clients.